In its first Summer season of operation, European Waterways’ new, 12 passenger, 128ft Dutch hotel barge Panache will embark from June to October 2012 on 6-night, all-inclusive voyages along the beautiful Canal de la Marne au Rhin, between Strasbourg and Mittersheim in Alsace-Lorraine.
Alsace-Lorraine is a unique corner of Eastern France - a land of storybook castles, rolling vineyards, as well as Baroque, Gothic and Romanesque architecture. For centuries, the great empires of Europe confronted one another at this strategic and military crossroads. The area’s blend of French and German influences are strongly evident in its customs, cuisine, wines, architecture and language.
Exploring this area of the world is a truly magical and varied experience and the voyage can begin in the city of Strasbourg – so easily accessible by air from the UK – with its renowned 12th century, Gothic, pink sandstone cathedral. Cruising to its final destination in Mittersheim, highlights of the week will include:
* visiting picturesque Saverne and the majestic 11th century Chateau du Haut Barr
* a scenic drive through the Vosges Hills along the Route des Grands Crus, with a private tasting of Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir and Riesling wines
* aboard Panache, an effortless, mountain-side ascent on the unique Arzviller boat elevator – thus avoiding 17 traditional locks
* a candlelit lunch aboard as the barge passes through the two Arzvillers tunnels
* at Wingen-sur-Moder, visiting the outstanding René Lalique museum collection of jewellery and glassware - also the battleground where American infantry confronted some of Germany’s most seasoned veterans
* a final day visit to Nancy, the ancient capital of Lorraine, with its Baroque Place Stanislas, one of the grandest in France
Guests can enjoy chauffeur-driven private excursions in an air-conditioned minibus, as well as explore for themselves on one of the 12 bikes on board.
Panache guests can expect to enjoy regional dishes prepared by the onboard chef such as Sea Bass with Cucumber and Smoked Eel, Roasted Duck à l’Alsacienne and Brie de Meaux or Tomme Fermier d’Alsace cheeses, accompanied by fine wines such as Gewurztraminer Reboltz and
,Sylvaner Cuvée Réserve.
The prices lead in at £2,790 per person in a twin/double junior suite and include: local transfers to and from the barge; a champagne welcome, accommodation in air-conditioned, en-suite cabins, all gourmet meals aboard and ashore, fine wines, an all day open bar, use of bicycles and spa pool, all excursions and admittance fees and the services of the experienced crew.
Alternatively for a whole boat charter the cost is from £25,600.
On selected departures from June to October 2012, there is £500 off per cabin; 10% off whole-boat charters from July to October 2012. Bookings to be made by 31st May 2012.
For more information/reservations: visit www.gobarging.com or contact European Waterways:
Tel: +44(0) 1753 598555 Email: email@example.com